Monday, September 29, 2014

3-D Pumpkin Tutorial

Happy Monday!

Again.

Actually it isn't a happy Monday.  Yes, Mondays ARE usually my favourite day of the week.  Today kinda sucked.  In a nutshell I realized someone scumbag gained access to my PayPal account and, after seeing there was no money in it, requested a transfer of $500 from my bank account to my PayPal account.  Luckily I spotted it and stopped it from happening … but not before spending an hour of my time dealing with PayPal and my bank and getting REALLY fed up with being on hold. Of course if I hadn't spotted it the scumbag would have (after the 5-8 day processing time) accessed my PayPal account again and then transferred that $500 to their account.  I spent all day saying VERY bad words and getting a tension headache from it all.  That sort of thing makes me SO mad!!!!

…. and breathe ….

So!  I spent all day running errands and being mad … and now I'm absolutely exhausted.  I will now spend the rest of the night changing every password I have for EVERY account just to be safe.  Luckily I have nothing better to do with my time!

OK - venting done!  Before carrying on with my banking fun I thought I would take 10 minutes for myself and post my tutorial for these adorable little paper pumpkins.  Check these out!

This is one of the projects I submitted to Dale, the Manager of Stampin' Up! Canada, for the centrepieces at the Edmonton conference.  They DID make paper pumpkins similar to these but they had little green paper leaves rather than the tops shown here.  Obviously when you have to make 15 sets of them it's easier to use a leaf punch than what I did.  Either way these are cute and fun to make.  Here is how you do it:

3-D Pumpkins:

To make the Large/Tall Pumpkin:

·      Cut out 8-12 Scalloped Ovals using the largest framelit in the Oval Framelit collection (the scalloped oval.)
o    The more pieces you cut the “fuller” the end product will be.  I used 8 for each of the pumpkins shown. 
o   The number you cut needs to be an even number. 
o   I prefer to use DSP for this project as plain card stock may crack when folded – the DSP doesn’t. 
o   You can use all one pattern of DSP or mix it up using different patterns and/or different packs, as I did here.
o   For the above projects I used a mix of Pumpkin Pie DSP and (retired) Newsprint DSP – there is a newsprint pattern in the current “Typeset” DSP which can be used. 
 
·      Once all pieces are cut out,  stamp the newsprint DSP with the “splotches” from “Gorgeous Grunge” using Pumpkin Pie ink

·      Trim a little strip off the bottom of each oval so it will sit flat (about ½”).  I trimmed one oval and then used it as a template for the other 7 pieces, lining up the scalloped edges to ensure all pieces are cut exactly the same.  (We will be adhering the pieces together and ideally you want the scalloped edges to be aligned as much as possible.)




·      Once all pieces are trimmed, fold each one in half, aligning the scallops as much as possible

 
·      Apply snail adhesive to one side of one of your Pumpkin Pie oval pieces.  Take a second oval (in the opposite pattern/paper), align the scallops and adhere the two pieces together.


 
·      Repeat the last step, alternating the patterns/paper as you go if you are using until you have a circle.

For the medium pumpkin I used the third largest circle in the Circle Framelit collection.

The smallest pumpkin was made using the 4th largest oval in the Oval Framelit collection.

For the pumpkin stem:

·      Punch out a flower in a green of your choice (I used Old Olive) using the Blossom flower punch.  Hot glue it to the top of the pumpkin
·      Cut a strip of newsprint (“Typeset”) DSP 1” x 3”.   Scrunch it up a few times to loosen the fibres and make it malleable.  Twist the paper into a tight “stem” shape.  Hot glue it to the flower.
·      Cut strips of Old Olive DSP ½ “ x 4 ¼” and use the edge of your paper snips to curl them.  Once curled cut them to the desired length and hot glue them to the stem.

These can be made in a variety of sizes using our framelits. 

So there you have it!  A month after designing them you have your blog post and tutorial.  These are a lot of fu to make - give them a try … and have a stampy day!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment