Thursday, July 31, 2014

Something for Baby - Card-in-a-Box Tutorial

Happy Thursday!

Busy day of playdates today! 

Today I wanted to show off one of my favorite "cards" of all time.  It goes by a few different names - a Card-in-a-Box or a Pop-Up-Card.  I put off making one of these for a looooooooong time figuring life is WAY too short to fiddle around with one ... but every now and then you need a REALLY special card for a REALLY special person on a REALLY special occasion.  This is THAT kind of a card.  Check it out:
LOOOOVE it!  I used the Lullaby DSP and the Something for Baby stamp set and the coordinating "Baby's First" Framelits.  See the floating Hearts?  I used 1/2" x 2 1/2" strips of window sheets (or overhead projector sheets) and attached them with glue dots.  They "wave" when you open the card.

Hmmm -  Now that I think about it I DID post another one of these cards back in May, for my FILs 80th Birthday.  Remember this one?

Grandpa loved it!

These cards are bigger than what will fit in a standard envelope.  No problem!  I whipped out my Envelope Punch Board and made my own out of DSP - rediculously easy!!  I used a Splitcoast Stamper Tutorial for this particular size.  Click here to access that.  I also made up a cheat sheet for my class so my stampers could make more at home easily.  Here is what they got:

Card-in-a-Box

 
Step 1:  Cut 12”x12” cardstock to 8.5”x12”.  Score at 2.75”, 5.5”, 8.25”, and 11”
Step 2:  Cut off 2” x 12” strip and set aside.  This will be used later.
Step 3:  Turn the 6.5” x 12” panel a quarter turn to the left, and score at 2.75”
Step 4:  Cut down 2.75” to this score line along each of the 4 perpendicular score lines.
At the 11” score line, cut in at a slight angle up from the edge of the cardstock to remove the excess above the score line and create a tab.
Step 5:  Cut the 2” x 12” strip at 4.75” from the end with the 1” score line.  Cut the strip in half the long way to create two strips 1” x 4.75”
Assemble box and attach 1” strips to the inside and decorate

OK - gotta fly - taxi service calls!  Pop in again soon!  Until then - have a stampy day :)


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment