Sunday, July 13, 2014

Double Slider Tutorial

Happy Sunday!

Did anyone sleep last night??  Did you SEE the size of that bright, beautiful full moon??  Amazing!  Normally I wouldn't be awake to see it but last night I was up late - I picked my parents up from the airport.  They just got back from their River Cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.  They were gone for 2 1/2 weeks.  It was SOOOO great to see them!  This is the longest I've ever gone without talking to them!    I have told them under no uncertain terms that they can't ever leave the country for that long again *lol*.

Having travelled a lot in my life I know what it's like to come home after a full day of travel (theirs was 24 hours!!) so I spend yesterday picking up some food (and flowers) for their return so they don't have to go ANYwhere for at least a day.  It's going to take them a few days to get back on "Canada time".  I whipped up a quick "menu" for them (so they knew what was in the fridge before dialling for pizza!) using my MDS system.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm really loving MDS!  No, I don't use it often … and I don't scrapbook or make cards with it … but I AM using it for more and more "other" projects like this one.  It took me minutes to create:

So!  Today I thought I'd get around to posting that tutorial I promised you for my Double Slider card:

See my post earlier this week for the "recipe" of supplies and colours I used.

I DID take pictures while creating it … but a) they aren't great pictures and b) they are on my camera which is alllll the way over there and I'm too lazy to get off the couch so instead I'll just post the link for the Splitcoast Stampers tutorial that I followed to create mine!  Here is the link:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/double_slider_card/

Beate Johns does a great job of explaining it but it took me a while to "get it" - to understand the concept.  In order to help you with that let me just mention one thing.  THE CARD DOES NOT OPEN!  That one simple concept helped me understand which way was "up" and which way was down.

Here is Beats's tutorial for this card:

Supplies

  • Stamps
  • Word Window tool punch
  • 1/2" circle punch
  • Dimensional
  • Glue dots
  • Sticky Strip™
  • Regular adhesive
  • Ink
  • One 4 1/4" x 11" piece of cardstock, scored at 5 1/2" for card base (Always Artichoke)
  • One 2" x 3 1/2" piece of neutral cardstock for front slider
  • One 3 1/2" x 5" piece of neutral cardstock for back slider
  • One 3" x 3 1/2"piece of neural cardstock for main image
  • Cardstock scraps for layering


  • Step 1

    Stamp and decorate all neutral cardstock. Layer on colored cardstock if desired. 

    The main image will be shown in full, but only the tops of the sliders will show. 
  • Step 2 (Optional)

    Add a background to the card front.
  • Step 3

    Slide the Word Window punch in from the card front's long side until it doesn't go any further and punch.

    (Note from Tamara:  no - it doesn't matter if the fold line is facing up or down and it doesn't matter which side you punch)
  • Step 4

    Move the punch over a bit and punch again. You will have made a slot approximately 1 1/2 times the original length of the punch. Repeat on the other side to create two equal, parallel slots on the card front.

    (Note from Tamara:  Don't make the slits too long - leave about 1 1/2" from both the top and the bottom)
  • Step 5

    Punch out four circles from scrap cardstock with the 1/2" circle punch.

  • Step 6

    Add a dimensional on two circles.
  • Step 7

    Position the circles at the bottom of each slot behind the card front.
  • Step 8

    Add the last two cardstock circles on top of the dimensionals.
  • Step 9

    Open the card. Center the back slider in the middle of the card and line up the top of the slider and top of the card. 

    Make sure that the image is facing you. 

    Add a glue dot to the 1/2" circles. 

    (Note from Tamara".  Note that the "card" is open.  This is crucial.  To help you understand this step … you are positioning the flowered layer so it is RIGHT at the TOP of the inside of the "card".  Once you put the glue dots on the sliding circles you close the card and the slider will be in position)
  • Step 10

    Fold the card. The back slider will adhere to the 1/2" circles. 
  • Step 11

    Close the card, and add a glue dot to each 1/2" circle on the front of the card. 
  • Step 12

    Center the front slider over the 1/2" circles.

    Make sure the main image will still cover the front slider! 
  • Step 13

    Add a dimensional to each corner of main image's back. 
  • Step 14

    Position the main image over the front slider. Make sure the slider won't be stopped by one of the dimensionals.
  • Step 15

    Reopen card and add Sticky Strip™ (or the new Fast Fuse tape!!) to both long sides of the card. Peel off liner of the Sticky Strips™. Close card to adhere.

    Step 16

    Add a little tab to pull up the card. I used one of the punch outs from the card front. 
    So there you have it.  I used this basic tutorial for my card but played around with the sizes of the layers - adding some mats as I went along.  If I were to do it again I would stick to smaller layers so the card slides easier.  


    That's it for today.  I'm off to walk my doodle dog.  Have a fantastic, stampy day!


    Tam

    No comments:

    Post a Comment