Monday, July 8, 2013

Painter's Tape Technique

Happy Monday!

Monday's don't hold the same *ahhhh* as they do when school is in ... but today is going to be a great day nonetheless.  Yes, the girls are home, but so is Craig ... and that means the girls are going over to Mom's for a *play date* while My Love takes me for lunch.  Yay for me!

We had a lovely weekend.  I'm starting to get the hang of relaxing ... at least a little bit!  When Craig is home I'm off cooking duty so the days seem to be a lot longer and run a lot smoother.  Planning dinner always takes a lot of time out of my day!  Yesterday the girls and I went to "Pets in the Park" and wandered around Hawrelak Park.  There were so many different dogs there ... and snakes, rabbits, cats and ferrets!  It was fun!  After a lovely BBQ dinner I headed down to the craft room to make this tutorial for you.  So, without further adeau I give you my Painter's Tape Cards:
Weeeee!  LOVE it!  Once I started I couldn't stop ... so I didn't ... I love this color combination of Daffodil Delight, Tangerine Tango and Coastal Cabana (and the sentiment is Early Espresso).  The cheeky little sentiment is from "Really Good Greetings" - page 38; $17.95 clear; $22.95 wood.

Here is my second card:
Yay!!! .... this card uses the "Wetlands" set, page 69; $20.95 clear; $26.95 wood.  I toyed with a few other color combinations but fell back on the same one to make my third card:
The sentiment for this one is "Feels Good" - page 25; $22.95 clear; $31.95 wood.  I then thought I would try a Sympathy card using grays and black ... but it turned out kaka-pooey .. so I tried browns ... but couldn't find a sentiment that worked ... and it morphed into a GREAT masculine birthday card:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!  The colors are Saraha Sand, Crumb Cake and Chocolate Chip (on a whisper white base).  The mat is Chocolate Chip.  The HBD are from Morning Post Alphabet - page 131; $42.95 clear; $57.95 wood and the Happy Birthday banner is the hostess set"Banner Greetings - page 202; $10 hostess dollars clear; $12 Hostess dollars wood.  The letters and sentiments are stamped in Chocolate Chip and the banner was cut out and popped up on a dimensional.  It was "Craig approved" as  great guy card :)

Now!  For the tutorial on how to get the background.  It's sooo easy!  ... a little messy, but easy! ... and let's face it, the messier it is the more fun it is, right?

So!  First off you need Painter's tape (because it is low tack ... is that how you spell tack?  Or is it tac?  Hmmm ... note to self to ask Dad how to spell tack ... or tac ... squirrel!).  You can also use masking tape but I didn't have any around and this worked just fine!  Tear off a little piece and press it into your ink pad:
Try not to get too much of it on your fingers!  The first card I made ended up with a lot of inky smudges on it!  Lift the tape up and "tape it off" onto your scrap paper so it isn't so inky:
Lift it off the paper (it won't stick due to the low tac(k?) and tape it to your card stock:

 Ta da!


If your image isn't as dark as you want it (due to the "tape-it-off" step) just do it again!  The look you are going for is grunge anyway and even if you don't get the tape right on top of your first image it looks fine!  That's what I had to do above!
Then do the same in your other colors with fresh strips of tape (I used a Sharpie to write the color on the strips of tape so I could re-use them ... the tape isn't cheap ... we need to recycle!):
This is how the tape looks after I "taped-it-off" on my scrap paper.  Not TOO inky but enough to leave an image.  (Good thing I have freakishly long fingers *lol*)
 

LOVE it!  Once you have your background you grab whatever sentiment that floats your boat and wa-low!  A quick, easy, one-of-a-kind card!
Fun, yes?  Yes!  My kind of technique!  Now go raid your husband's workshop for some tape and give it a try!  It's addictive, as you can see!

Thanks for popping in!  Until next time ... have a stampy day!


Tam




4 comments:

  1. Love your cards! What cardstock did you use to apply the tape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! I just used plain old Whisper White. The original tutorial I found from Bette on Splitcoast said to use glossy white but of course ours is discontinued. I used WW and it worked just great! Give it a try .... It's soooo addictive!

      Delete
  2. Tamara, you are SO FUNNY! Love those squirrel moments too, I'm really laughing! I am also cracking up because I was admiring your nice, young-looking, long, slender fingers. I rarely notice such things (your nails are pretty too... AND your ring (LOL)!). You're a pip; thanks for the smiles along the way! Cheers! Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol*. Now you have ME laughing, Donna! My husband calls me a *pip* too .. Cracks me up every time! ... And yes ... In these photos it's hard not to notice those fingers! I am always asked to get the last pickle out of the jar *lol*

      Delete