Friday, March 15, 2013

Emboss Resist Technique

Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ready for the weekend?  I am ... well ... ok ... I'm not.  See, while most people work all week and have the weekends off I have the week off and work most weekends.  This weekend I have a Private Class on Saturday night and my Stamp-a-Stack on Sunday.  I really SHOULD design some cards for Sunday ... then again ... that's still 2 days away so what's the rush??  *lol* 

Yesterday I DID finalize my cards for the class on Saturday. My hostess has wanted to learn the Emboss Resist Technique ever since I sent her this card:
Okee Dokee ... I played with it a little and changed the color.  I've been on a real "neutrals" kick lately and I was craving something with a bit of color.  As I was playing around I mad a quick "keep it simple card".  In hindsight I see that it really does need some sort of embossing or soft image in the white space but at the time I was stuck BY the white space.  What do you think?
The front layer really isn't blue - it's stark white ... it's just the light shining through that makes it seem blue.  The 4 3/4" x 3 1/2" layer has the corners rounded and the edges finger daubed (??!!) with Island Indigo ink.  The sentiment is from "Trust God" - page 136 $17.95 clear; $24.95 wood (a must have set!), also stamped in Indigo .. punched out with the Decorative Label Punch (page 182 - $22.95) and popped up on dimensionals.  A rhinestone finishes it off.  The ribbon is the Indigo Ribbon from the SAB brochure.  The butterflies are stamped with Papillon Potpourri (page 115 - $17.95 clear; $22.95 wood) and punched out with theElegant Butterfly punch (page 184 - $21.95) and the Bitty Butterfly Punch (Spring Mini - page 13 - $21.95.  Rhinestones finish off their bodies.  Clean and Simple ... but they don't fulfill the Emboss Resist Technique request ... so I continued on and came up with this:
Pretty, yes?  The only addition to this card is that I originally used Crystal Clear embossing powder for the image from Flowering Flourishes (page 121 - $21.95 clear; $30.95 wood) and once it was heat set I used a spong to gently and slowly apply Island Indigo ink.  The best method for application is to start in the middle of your image and use swirls ourwards.  This ensures that the darkest part is in the middle and the color softens as you move out.  Oh ... and on this one I used two of the Bitty Butterflies instead of one of each ... this will cut down on me taking along yest another (heavy) punch to the class ... and the larger butterfly overpowered the flower image a bit, in my opinion.  Once you have sponged your piece then you take a dry baby wipe, tissue or paper towel and buff the embossed image.  Ta Da!  The white flower is revealed!

So there you have it - the Emboss Resist Technique.  We will also be making the Easter Blessings card that I posted 2 days ago and the Feeling Sentimental bike card that I CAS'd from Heather Summers 3 or 4 days ago ... although I did add a bit to that one.  If I get a chance I'll post a picture of that one tomorrow.  Until then ... have a stampy day :)

Tam



2 comments:

  1. Very very nice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa. This I such an easy technique but gives such a WOW factor!

    ReplyDelete