Sunday, February 19, 2012

Apothecary Birthday

Happy Sunday!

Anyone else having a pajama day today?  I'm pretty sure nuthin' is gunna get me out of my jams today ... a nice quiet day of cleaning, movies and crafting ... my favorite kind of Sunday :)

Today's project comes as a total surprise to me.  The surprise is that I actually LIKE it *lol*.  Remember I told you I was working on a commission to make some birthday invotations for a friend?  Remember how long I've been procrastinating on it?  Well it paid off.  I've been thinking about it for WEEKS!  I've done lots of invitations in the past but what made this one more challenging for me was that I was instructed NOT to keep it clean in simple.  Lots of bling, flowers and busy was the request.  Ack!  I thought and thought and thought and though.  I tried a few ideas ... using my Big Shot flower dies with the glimmer paper ... too much (even for someone who WANTS glitz!) ... I don't "do" a lot of flowery type cards ... however ... never one to shy away from a challenge I pressed on!  More chocolate ... a few naps here and there ... lots of searching through fellow stampers blogs .... then it hit me ... the new Apothecary set!  It has roses all over it!!  (and roses were specifically mentioned in the request).  That was it!  About an hour later I had it - first crack - nailed it ...
Well?  Well?  What'd'ya think?  Flowery, sparkly and NOT simple!  It's hard to tell from the picture but the red border and red flowers actually match PERFECTLY - it's just the glare from the flash that makes them look a little off.  I'm thrilled that even though this isn'y my usual style I actually LIKE it!  I'm also thrilled that I succeeded in pushing myself out of my comfort zone and tried something I normally wouldn't.  To be honest, this stamp set was one of the last ones I bought.  I wasn't crazy about it but then I saw quite a few samples made with it that I liked so I bought it.  This particular stamp was not the one I planned to use - the flowers are too flowery for me .. if that makes any sense *lol*.  I really liked the end result, though.  The image is stamped in black Staz-On so the punch of Real Red marker really adds a "wow".  I also used the Pink Pirouette, Certainly Celery and Wild Wasabi markers.  I used the Pear PIzzaz Pleated Satin Ribbon (have you BOUGHT this ribbon yet?  I think it is my all time favorite ribbon type in my 7 years of Stampin' Up!).  The DSP is Certainly Celery (from the DSP pack) and the brads are from the In Color glimmer brads. The flower image is pooped up on LOTS of dimensionals.  The "You're Invited" is from the retired "Introducing" set.  To add more glitz I used Dazzling Details in Cherry (for the red flowers) and clear (for the pink).  Yep.  I like it :)

Today's entertainment is to finish making the invitations (I have to pace myself - all the coloring and dazzling KILLS my back) and cleaning the house ... actually purging the house.  I've cleaned out the girls' drawers and closets.  Of course you wouldn't know I've done anything for the last 2 hours and now I just have a mountain of old clothes to bag up and get out of the house ... but now I want to take a nap ... know what I mean?  Guess I'll have a coffee instead ... the mountain awaits!

Have a fun Sunday :)  Happy Family-Day-Eve :)


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment