Saturday, March 5, 2011

Stamp-a-stack's a comin ...

... that means LOTS of crafting going on!  I've been in my craft room making cards all day ... well most of it anyway ... I did take out 2 hours to make a new blanket ... (no comments Marianne!)  I had a lot of work to do.  Last night I spent two hours creating two cards but they both got the thumbs down from Craig.  I kinda agree - the colors didn't grab me on this one ... kind of a boring layout too ...
(I used some retired DSP from last years "Happy B'Day SS Kit; Bring on the Cake stamp set, Daffodil 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, Ridinghood Red CS and Wasabi, Rhood Red & Daffodil circles)

I knew I could do better so I tried again.  I wanted to make a card with bright colors and using the new technique I've seen a lot lately of sticking shapes to your layer and then running the whole piece through the Square Lattice embossing folder.  Hmmm - another miss.  I like the layout but the Marina Mist wasn't the right touch.  I'll try it again another day with another color:
(I used Marina Mist, Daffodil Delight, Certainly Celery & Real Red cs; celery satin ribbon and Bring on the Cake sentiment in Pacific Point ink)

Kind of fun but Craig's reaction to it was immediate and not favorable ... back to the drawing board ...

I played with this one for WAY too long but I like the end result.  It is obviously based on the card from my previous post just kicked up a notch.  This will be one of my cards for the Stamp-a-stack:
(I used So Saffron & Chocolate Chip ink; Curly Cute sentiment, Stem Silhouette stamps and the Butterfly sizzlets along with the Scallop Trim Border punch)

You can't see it but I do have the Gold Shimmer Smooch spray on it.  I still think it lacks "something" but I'm struggling today and spending WAY too much time on them.  I really have a tough time keeping cards simple and they HAVE to be simple for SASs ... too complicated means they take too long to complete!  The nice thing about this card is it can be used for birthday, sympathy, just because - anything really.  By the time I had finished this card my brain hurt and I realized that most of the cards I had been working on over the last week are neutral tones - a LOT of browns.  I desperately wanted to have a bright, in-your-face FUN card that only took a few minutes to whip up.  Literally 5 minutes later I had this to show for my efforts:
(I used Real Red, Pacific Point, Wild Wasabi and Daffodil Delight inks and papers; ribbon is the 5/8" grosgrain in Real Red and 1/4" grosgrain in Daffodil Delight.  The sentiment is the retired "Birthday Wish" stamp and the circles are popped up with dimensionals.

Mission accomplished!  It's pretty loud!  It DID get a nod of approval from Craig so it might make it into the SAS.  When I design my SAS cards I struggle with a) keeping them simple but also b) giving them all a unique "feel" - I don't want them ALL to be vintage or ALL to me whimsical etc.  It's tough to do when you sit down over one or two days to create 5 different card types.  Usually I'm in a certain mood and am drawn to certain styles and colors so it's very unnatural to go against that.  I think I managed it today though :)

I'm still working on one last card -  I've spent about 2 hours on it already and I'm still not 100% happy with it.  Back to my room I go ... tune in tomorrow to see what I came up with!

Have a great night - I have a couch date with Craig once the little ladies are in bed - we'll be watching "Red" - looking forward to it :)  See you tomorrow!


Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment